Lead Smelting in Baslow Derbyshire was well know for lead mining – but it had to be smelted. Baslow had its share of smelters. This paper describes the sites in Baslow parish.
Gardoms Edge Christopher Gardom arrived in Baslow in the early 1600s- and gave his name to the Edge that dominates the village.
Baslow in the 1820s – Bridge End A snapshot of the village in the 1820s
History of Robin Hood a hamlet near Baslow. Today it is an Inn and a car park, popular with the tourists and walkers. The article starts with Bronze age farming and traces the story of the area over the years, the people, the millstone quarries, the coal mines, the agriculture. An understanding of the past adds to todays enjoyment of – Robin Hood.
Enclosure Award 1824 This describes events in Baslow in the 1820s concentrating on the Enclosure Award, The new 1820s Turnpikes, the “Exchange of Lands” and the new Outer Chatsworth Park.
Baslow in the 1820s This is an earlier version of of “Enclosure Award 1824”, less precise but with much more detail including names of the freeholders in the village, and those affected by the extension of Chatsworth Park.
The Baslow Charities The Baslow Charities started in the 1600s to support the Curate, the Poor of Baslow and the School – the Charity School at Stanton Ford. This article describes the Stanton Ford School, and follows the course of the charities up to the present day
The Marsdens in Baslow Hugo Marsden arrived in Baslow in 1596 to marry Alicia Brough. His family prospered over the next two centuries before dwindling away by 1900. The story includes the extension of Chatsworth Park into Baslow Parish farmland in 1824. There are notes on Parkgate Farm and another farm, Oxclose, in Chatsworth Park which no longer exists.
Bubnell History This is the story of the farms and other buildings in the hamlet, and the people who lived in them. It includes
- the early families, Broomhead, Gardom and Oddy.
- the take over by the Duke of Devonshire and his new model farm
- notes on each building and its inhabitants over the last 2 or 3 centuries
Prince of Wales Inn The Prince of |Wales Inn, now Rowley’s restaurant, was a freehold property. Legal documents dating from 1710 allow us to follow its history from that time first asa carpenters shop then as an inn.
Methodist Chapel Methodism arrived in Baslow in the late 1700s. This short pamphlet gives the story.
Retailers New. This is a collection of all the shops I have located in the village since about 1840. Each has a brief description and a small photo.
Comparison of Baslow & Bubnell. In pre Norman times, Baslow and Bubnell may have been much the same size. Now they are very different.